Trio of unbeaten prospects set for April 5 ShoBox
Mayweather Promotions will host the event in Las Vegas.
Three young, unbeaten prospects from the Mayweather Promotions roster will share the stage on the April 5 edition of ShoBox: The New Generation on Showtime, live from Sam’s Town in Las Vegas.
The main event will be a 10-round super bantamweight fight between New Mexico’s Angelo Leo (16-0, 8 KO) and Neil Tabanao (17-4, 11 KO) of the Philippines.
Both fighters are 24 years old. Leo last fought on Feb. 9, beating Alberto Torres over eight rounds, scoring a pair of knockdowns. Tabanao lost three in a row in 2016-17, including a defeat against Isaac Dogboe, but has won four straight.
“This fight came to me at the perfect time,” said Leo. “I’m in great condition coming off my recent fight last month. I think Tabanao is good fighter and a good counter-puncher. He fought good competition and he went the distance with a former world champion, so I know I have a tough fight ahead. He is a dangerous fighter but I have a solid plan. I have a unique style and I think I bring a lot to the table with my speed, angles and body shots. Fans should expect an exciting fight on April 5.”
“My trainer Sonny Dollente is working hard to prepare me for this fight,” said Tabanao. “We know this is our first fight in the States and TV debut, so we are working especially hard to put on a great performance and we thank Mayweather Promotions for this opportunity. Angelo Leo is a good fighter but we have a good strategy. It has always been my dream to represent The Philippines and to be known as a great boxer. This fight will bring me one step closer to my dream.”
In the co-feature, Sacramento super featherweight Xavier Martinez (13-0, 9 KO) will also be in 10-round action, facing another Filipino, John Moralde (21-2, 11 KO).
The 21-year-old Martinez also last fought on Feb. 9, knocking out Deivi Julio Bassa in the fifth round. Moralde, 24, has lost his bigger fights — he was stopped after seven against Toka Kahn Clary in 2017, and shut out over 10 by Jamel Herring last September.
“It feels great to get back in the ring,” said Martinez. “I’m happy Mayweather Promotions found another great matchup for me, and on national television. Now it’s time for me to do my part as a fighter by training hard and getting the win. I came in to training camp with a fresh mindset and ready to go to war. I’m ready for whatever Moralde brings to the table. I don’t know much about him other than he has the guts to fight me. I heard two opponents said no to this fight because they didn’t want to face me.”
“It feels great to have another opportunity to put my skills on display for the world to see on national TV,” said Moralde. “I’m up against a tough fighter; we both have a tough fight ahead. I have to make a statement. This is the fight that will get me where I want to go. I want to fight the toughest and I’m ready to face anyone they put in front of me.”
The opener will be an eight-round super featherweight fight pitting Vegas native Andres Cortes (10-0, 6 KO) against Baltimore’s Jahmal Dyer (9-1, 5 KO).
Cortes, 21, was last in the ring on Jan. 17, where he stopped Eder Amaro Fajardo in three. Dyer, 27, last fought on March 2, winning a decision over Carlos Dixon in Columbus, Ohio, on a DiBella Entertainment card.
“I’ve only taken off one week from the gym since my last fight in January,” said Cortes. “I feel great. I’m 100 percent prepared for whatever my opponent brings my way. I’ve been working on my power and my strength with my conditioning coach and overall development as a fighter. I’m ready for my next challenge.”
“I’m coming fresh off a fight so I’m still in great shape,” said Dyer. “Andres Cortes is a good fighter, but I’m a better fighter. I’m training to go a full eight rounds, but if I find an opportunity before then, I’m going to take it. I’ve been waiting for a chance to show the world how good of a fighter I am, and this is it. This is my time to show the world who I am.”