Roundup (June 14, 2019): Arum on Pacquiao, PBC for sale, more
Bob Arum had some thoughts and more from Thursday.
Miss anything Thursday? Catch on up!
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum shared some thoughts. A big one is that he doesn’t think Manny Pacquiao should be fighting anymore, fearing for the 40-year-old superstar’s safety:
“I wish him the best and I hope he wins the fight but I am concerned, as I would be for any fighter, that when they get to a certain age that they probably should be fighting anymore. You know, I mean, the doctors will tell you that the cranium as you get older, thins out. So a guy that’s younger gets hit and the cranium absorbs the blow so that it doesn’t affect the brain matter. When they get older the cranium is thinner, and when you get hit it affects — that would be the worst thing in the world if Manny Pacquiao suffered brain damage at this point.”
Rumors of Premier Boxing Champions being for sale are more than just rumors, as Mike Coppinger confirmed via The Athletic that there have been talks between Al Haymon and Ari Emanuel, whose company owns UFC.
We’ll have staff picks up tomorrow at Noon ET (Fury-Schwarz, Hart-Barrera), 2:30 pm ET (Briedis-Glowacki, Dorticos-Tabiti) and 4:30 pm ET (Warrington-Galahad), so make sure you swing by.
- It was another solid edition of Golden Boy DAZN Thursday Night Fights — nothing you can’t miss, but decent action throughout with Seniesa Estrada, Azat Hovhannisyan, and Carlos Caraballo winning their bouts.
- Deontay Wilder says Anthony Joshua should be embarrassed about quitting against Andy Ruiz Jr. All in all this is, in its way, just a continuation of the Wilder-Joshua media war — Deontay is surely aware that this fight could be a topic again by the end of this year, and he’s keeping it fresh and talking shit.
- Oscar Valdez reportedly does want to face Carl Frampton before moving up to 130 pounds.
- Charlie Edwards and Julio Cesar Martinez are close to a deal for a fight, which would be for Edwards’ WBC flyweight title. Martinez upset Andrew Selby in March.
- Michael Woods spoke with popular heavyweight Adam Kownacki, who faces Chris Arreola on Aug. 3 in what should be a bombs-away bout on FOX.
- Speaking of which, Dereck Chisora will face Artur Szpilka on July 20 in a fight that should have prop bets for DQs and in-ring riots. Granted Chisora has mellowed a lot over the years, but Szpilka hasn’t.
- Scott Fitzgerald is hurt, so Anthony Fowler will face Brian Rose on July 6. Fowler was already scheduled for the card.