Sulaiman gives update on WBC champs’ status, Charlo-Lara unification possible
Photo by STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images
No champion currently has a defense scheduled
With boxing fans starved for content, WBC head honcho Mauricio Sulaiman took to Facebook Live to give updates on its various champions’ whereabouts, including some interesting new information. Working our way up the weight classes:
- Minimumweight champ Wanheng Menayothin was supposed to defend against Marco John Rementizo on April 25th. That’s now canceled.
- Junior flyweight champ Kenshiro Teraji and flyweight champ Julio Cesar Martinez do not have defenses planned. Teraji has not fought since a December stoppage of Randy Petalcorin and Martinez overpowered Jay Harris in February.
- Junior bantamweight champ Juan Francisco Estrada has a deal in place to face #4 contender Carlos Cuadras in June “or when he can,” with the winner then facing mandatory challenger Srisaket Sor Rungvisai.
- It’s “certain” that bantamweight champ Nordine Oubaali’s planned May fight with Nonito Donaire will be postponed, as the coronavirus outbreak is hampering the former’s ability to prepare.
- Junior featherweight champ Rey Vargas could still have his planned defense against Emmanuel Rodriguez.
- Featherweight champ Gary Russell Jr. “confirmed his interest” in finally fighting Leo Santa Cruz. I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Junior lightweight champ Miguel Berchelt is still negotiating with mandatory challenger Oscar Valdez.
- “Franchise” lightweight champ Vasiliy Lomachenko still has Teofimo Lopez to deal with, while Luke Campbell and Javier Fortuna still have orders to fight for the vacant “regular” tirle while Devin Haney recovers.
- Junior welterweight champ Jose Ramirez is set to face Viktor Postol on May 9th. That’s in doubt.
- Welterweight champ Errol Spence Jr. must face Danny Garcia upon his return.
- Junior middleweight champ Jermell Charlo has “requested permission” to unify with WBA “world” champ Erislandy Lara.
- Middleweight champ Canelo Alvarez’s match with Billy Joe Saunders remains in limbo.
- Super middleweight champ David Benavidez and light heavyweight champ Artur Beterbiev saw defenses against Roamer Alexis Angulo and Meng Fanlong postponed.
- Cruiserweight champ Ilunga Makabu is waiting for a mandatory challenger. This is presumably “silver” champ Thabiso Mchunu, a former knockout victim of “Junior’s.”
- Heavyweight champ Tyson Fury presumably still has a trilogy match with Deontay Wilder on the docket.
Y’all see anything you like up there? Charlo-Lara sounds fun.